The Tbilisi State Medical University was established in 1921, after 3 years of being a faculty of medicine. This institute got the autonomous status of the university in 1992 and became Tbilisi State Medical University. TSMU is Georgia’s only government medical university. Medical education was restored at the university in 1994. Originally the specialty of medicine was opened at the faculty of biology and medicine, and the faculty of medicine became an independent unit in 2000. A center for the management of health care and the department for continuous medical education was opened, and the board of trustees of medicine and medical information service was founded. The university diagnostic center provides the health care of the professors and lecturers and collaborators of the university.