The Medical University of Pleven is one of the five medical institutions of higher education in Bulgaria. It is the only university in Pleven and was founded in 1974 on the basis of the former regional hospital established in 1865. The university unifies a large modern preclinical base, a hospital with specialized clinics and research sections. It has two faculties, the faculty of medicine covering the subjects of medicine and rehabilitation and occupational therapy and the faculty of public health covering health care, as well as a college. There are also two hostels with a total of 315 beds in two- and three-bedrooms. In 1997 the university added an english language medicine program designed for international students. This was the first English language medicine program in Bulgaria.